Cakes for Occasions
Learn Sugar Art
and Cake Decoration!
Kim is available seasonally to teach all levels of Sugar Art. She is a Certified Master Sugar Artist, Hon. and an Approved Teacher with the International Societé of Cake Exploration (ICES). Most of her classes are in the northeast, but she is willing to travel--she has taught in California, Illinois, Massachusetts, and Oregon, to name a few.
Kim will be teaching an advanced 5 day Decorating Class at The Wilton School, September 23 through 27, 2013 in Darien, Illinois. For more information see: Intricate Gum Paste Artistry with Kim Morrison and the Wilton School Catalog – 2013.
There are typically three or four classes scheduled during the spring and fall at different cake show venues or teaching facilities. Please feel free to email us to check her schedule, or to request information on hosting classes in your own area. If you are interested in classes other than those below, Kim will be happy to try to accommodate you.
The current list of Classes offered:
BASIC SKILLS (Two to three hour classes)
• Basic Gumpaste Flowers: A good class for those new to gumpaste, it includes a Simple Rosebud and a Calla Lily. Perfect for shower and tea party cakes these gumpaste flowers can be created with few cutters. Wiring of rose leaves is also shown. Paste and some materials are provided.
• Rosebud Bouquet: A good class for those new to gumpaste, it includes a Simple Rosebud, Lily of the Valley, and Variegated Ivy. A lovely addition to any delicate, feminine cake, these gumpaste flowers cover a number of useful gumpaste techniques and can be created with few cutters. Paste and some materials are provided.
• Cherries and Berries: These are bright, colorful and unusual additions to any arrangement. Create lifelike gumpaste cherries, strawberries, and blueberries. We’ll do flowers and foliage too, if time permits. Paste and some materials are provided.
• Holly, Berries, and a Candy Striped Bow: Green holly, bright berries and a big striped bow, all done in gumpaste, will add a festive but easy touch to any holiday cake. Included are, wiring, dusting, glazing and assembly of the leaves and berries, and creating the bow. Paste and some materials are provided.
• Modeling Chocolate Plaque: Modeling Chocolate tastes like a "Tootsie Roll for grownups," and is great fun to work with, too. A chocolate plaque will be decorated with inlaid and overlaid flowers and leaves, and decorative edging. Several different techniques will be covered, and all materials and some equipment will be supplied. The best part is eating all the scraps!
BASIC TO INTERMEDIATE SKILLS (Two to four hour classes)
• Pretty Pink and White Poinsettia: Perfect for holiday cakes, the gumpaste poinsettia can be created easily without special cutters. (You can do it in red for the men.) Included are creation of the center and petals, wiring, assembly, and coloring. Paste and some materials are provided.
• Modern Extension and Bridgework: One of the most beautiful and classic decorating techniques, made faster and easier, but still perfect for the most formal occasions. Also included are finishing techniques, and the method and recipe for making royal icing. Some materials and royal icing are provided.
• Spring Flowers and Rosebuds: A good class both for those new to gumpaste flowers and those wanting to improve their skills, the simple rose bud, plus lilacs, lily of the valley, and dogwood are perfect for shower and tea party cakes, and can be created with just a few cutters. Paste and some materials are provided.
• Christmas Angel: This charming hand-modeled angel makes a great Christmas decoration whether on a cake or a mantelpiece. The simple techniques for figure construction and dressing, as well as finishing details, can easily be adapted to other occasions or holidays. All paste, materials, and some equipment are provided.
• Peony: Beautiful full double peonies and peony leaves are not as difficult as they look! A real focal point, just a few peonies can adorn an entire wedding cake. Both fully and partially wired methods will be shown. Paste and some materials are provided.
• Golden Daffodil: Lovely for spring cakes, this gumpaste flower can be created with or without cutters and veiners. Included are: creation of the center and petals, assembly, coloring, and the characteristic daffodil stem. Paste and some materials are provided.
INTERMEDIATE TO ADVANCED SKILLS (Three to four hour classes)
• Gumpaste Roses, Callas, Sweetpeas, and Stephanotis: Among the most popular flowers requested on cakes! Included are: creation of the centers and petals, wiring, assembly, coloring, and leaves. Paste and some materials are provided.
• Poppies Pretty Poppies: Great for summer and autumn cakes, this gumpaste flower can be created with or without cutters and veiners. Included are: creation of the center and petals, wiring, assembly, coloring, and the poppy’s unusual buds. Paste and some materials are provided.
• Daffodil, Pansy and Lily of the Valley: The essence of springtime in a single bouquet! Perfect for shower and tea party cakes, Daffodils, Pansies, and Lily of the Valley can be created with basic tools and few cutters. Several different gumpaste techniques will be covered. Paste and some materials are provided.
• Cymbidium Orchid: Elegant and graceful, orchids are becoming more and more popular for weddings and other grand occasions. The cymbidium is versatile and can be done in many different colors. The class covers forming, wiring, dusting, and painting. Paste and some materials are provided.
• Wild Wired Rose: (This class requires two hours on each of two days.) This sweet and rather untidy gumpaste rose has all of its petals wired. Included are creation of the center, wiring petals and leaves, and assembly and coloring of the rose. This class requires two days because of the number of petals needed and the drying time involved. Paste and some materials provided.
• Extension and Bridgework: (Four Hour Class.) As one of the most beautiful and classic decorating techniques, this is perfect for the most formal occasions. Included are both traditional and modern (faster) methods, finishing techniques, and information on making royal icing. If time allows Lambeth pillows will be included. Some materials are provided.
• Floating Collar: This classic, elegant technique is definitely advanced, but well worth learning for anyone who loves competition. Included are both run-out and gumpaste collars, mixing royal icing, and the floating collar itself. Some materials are provided.
• Sugar “Jewel Box”: (This class requires two hours on each of two days.) This oval jewelry box is created with Mexican Paste and has a pull-out drawer and a bas-relief, flower decorated top. Paste is provided.
• Sugar “Teacup”: (This class requires two hours on each of two days) Lovely sugar “china” teacup and saucer are created from Mexican paste, and then are decorated using a variety of techniques from the simplest to the most advanced. Paste and some materials are provided.
• Sugar “Teacup”: (One day class): Simplified sugar “china” teacup and saucer are created from Mexican paste, and then are decorated using a variety of techniques. Paste, some materials, and dried cup pieces are provided.
Other classes may be tailored to your needs. Please inquire.
Cakes for Occasions by Kim Morrison
P.O. Box 151, Spring Mills, PA 16875
email us at cakes @ kmcakes.com
All content © KMCAKES.COM 2010